Some friends referred me to the BuzzFeed article 17 Problems Only Book Lovers Will Understand. It’s hilarious, not to mention accurate, and if you haven’t read it yet, go read it now. In response, I offer this list of 17 Joys Only Book Lovers Will Understand. You know who you are. (Let the page sit for 5-10 seconds so the gifs – and the humor – can load properly.)
1. When a package full of books arrives on your doorstep.
2. When someone respects your reading habits enough to shut up.
3. When the movie version of a book gets everything right.
4. When you finish a challenging book and just sit there feeling accomplished.
5. When you meet someone who reads as much as you do.
6. When you forget to eat or sleep because a book is so good.
7. When you get to exchange book recommendations with a friend.
8. When a book you love wins accolades and awards.
9. When you manage to get a signed copy.
10. When the story ends in a way you never saw coming.
11. When you walk into a bookstore.
12. When you lend someone a book and get it back in perfect condition.
13. Or get it back with a few extra volumes thrown in.
14. When your favorite character does something awesome.
15. When a book makes you laugh (or cry) hysterically in public and everyone thinks you’re crazy and you don’t give a darn because the book is so amazing.
16. When everyone gets your obscure literary reference.
17. When someone says you read too much and then adds, “Keep it up.”