Yesterday was my Mom’s birthday. Unfortunately, the inspiration for this post came after the party was over, so I’m obliged to say what I have to say later than I’d like to have said it… if you know what I mean. So without further adieu, I give you five things I love about my Mother.
- I. Far Above Rubies – Giant question mark on your forehead? Check out Proverbs 31:10-31. You just read the most succinct, accurate, and elegantly worded description of my Mom available on this planet (or any other, for that matter). I’m certain I can’t top it, so I won’t even waste my breath. Or my ink.
- II. Books, Books, and More Books – You may know that I’m a tried and convicted bibliophile; what you may not know is that I have my Mom to blame for that. Reverence for (and delight in) the printed word is so pervasive in our house that even my two-year-old brother is guilty of devouring books – in some cases, literally. What can I say? We’re messed up. In an awesome sort of way. Here’s lookin’ at you, Mom.
- III. “The Name’s Bond. James Bond.” – Yes, my Mom watches movies with us. That, in and of itself, is pretty cool. Even cooler is the fact that her tastes are varied. I mean, Wives and Daughters is great, but what can you say about a Mom who’s willing to watch Gladiator and Saving Private Ryan, too? She may not even care for a this or that genre, but she’ll still give it a shot if you ask her to – ’cause she’s that kind of person.
- IV. What’s Cookin’? – I know everybody under the sun says their Mom is the best cook in the world, but frankly, they’re all liars. I ought to know. I’ve eaten my Mom’s cooking for the entire duration of my existence on this cosmic dust speck, and nobody (and I mean nobody) has matched her yet. I dare you to try. Feelin’ lucky, punk?
- V. Smiles All ‘Round – I think it’s safe to say that without my Mom, there would be a lot less laughter in our house. So if mirth is God’s medicine, as Beecher once said, then my Mom is the most liberal dispenser of it I have ever met. She’s just a fun person to be around. And we love her for it.
Five things. Just five things. Because in all honesty, there’s not enough room here to scribble down the rest.